Clawson Wrestlers Struggle in First Round of State Wrestling Finals
Deonte Hill and Jason Palmer both lose their first match on Thursday at The Palace of Auburn Hills.
The individual wrestling state finals kicked off on Thursday afternoon at The Palace of Auburn Hills with hundreds of wrestlers from around the state hitting the mat.
Day One of the tournament for two Clawson High School wrestlers didn't go well.
Otsego junior Cory Livingston pinned Trojans senior Deonte Hill with 59 seconds left in the second round (171 pounds). Teammate Jason Palmer didn't even make it out of the first round.
Rosco senior Dustin Noreyko pinned Palmer with nearly 30 seconds left on the clock (119 pound).
It's the first time both wrestlers made it to the state finals.
"There were jitters," Clawson coach Keil Jorgensen said. "It's kind of an eye opening experience."
Jorgensen hopes Friday will go a little better for his guys.
"Now that the first match is out of the way, we can come out and perform," he said.
The state finals are a double-elimination tournament, so both wrestlers will open Friday morning in the consolation rounds. One more loss and their season will be over.
Patch is covering all three days of the tournament in its live blog from The Palace, providing updates from our live blog. Follow the action from Thursday, then make sure to follow along on Friday and Saturday for results, photos and more!
Wrestling State Finals Coverage
- Lake Orion's Highlen Advances in State Wrestling Finals
- Brother Rice Wrestlers Perfect on First Day of State Finals
- Clawson Wrestlers Struggle in First Round of State Wrestling Finals
- Chevez Farris Wins Easily in 1st Round at State Wrestling Finals
- West Bloomfield Wrestlers Fall in First Round of Wrestling Finals
- Andover Wrestler Loses First Round Bout in State Finals
- Grosse Pointe North's Salazar Advances at State Wrestling Finals
- Rochester Schools Impressive on Day One of State Finals