Fun Happenings Nearby This Weekend
Check out the Outdoor Art Fair in Royal Oak, shop the Birmingham Farmers Market, watch a movie during Cinema in the Street in Clawson, listen to Roger Tucker & 3/4 Step perform jazz in Berkley or participate in the Go Comedy All Star Showdown in Ferndale.
There's a lot going on in our area this weekend, so we've collected some of the highlights to share with you.
- When: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday, and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday
- Where: Memorial Park at Woodward Avenue and West 13 Mile Road, Royal Oak
- Cost: Admission is free.
- Why go: The 42nd Annual Outdoor Art Fair will feature more than 100 juried artists selling original art work including ceramics, painting/prints, fiber arts, jewelry, photography, sculpture, glass, leather and mixed media.
- What else: The show goes on rain or shine. A variety of foods also will be available.
- When: 9 a.m. Sunday
- Where: North Old Woodward Avenue and Harmon Street, Birmingham
- Cost: Free
- Why go: Shop more than 70 booths featuring locally and regionally grown produce including organic vegetables, fruits, flowers and garden
plants, plus baked goods and hand-crafted items. Vocalist Sheila Landis – who sings jazz, Latin and blues – will perform. Vendor of the Week Nature's Pace Organics will sell zucchini, kale, chard and collard greens for $3 each or two for $5.
- What else: Like the Birmingham Farmers Market on Facebook or follow it on Twitter at @BhamFarmMkt for updates.
- When: 4:30 p.m. Saturday
- Where: South Main Street and East 14 Mile Road, Clawson
- Cost: Free
- Why Go: Head to downtown Clawson for the city's annual Cinema in the Street, during which South Main Street is shut so folks can bring out the folding chairs and watch a movie under the stars. There will be games, food, contests and more. The movie showing will be The Sandlot.
Roger Tucker & 3/4 Step
- When: 8:30 p.m. Saturday
- Where:O'Mara's Restaurant, 12 Mile Road and Coolidge Highway, Berkley
- Cost: $10 cover
- Why go: Grab dinner from O'Mara's' extensive menu while you enjoy this Detroit-based jazz and standards band. Then enjoy a cold beverage out on the flower-filled patio.
- What else: O'Mara's is open, despite the construction 12 Mile Road and Coolidge Highway.
Go Comedy All Star Showdown
- When: 8 p.m., 10 p.m. Saturday
- Where: Go Comedy! Improv Theater, East 9 Mile Road, Ferndale
- Cost: $15
- Why go: Play as big a role as you want during short improv games, challenges and more in this interactive, improvised game show, billed as "one part 'Whose Line is it Anyway,' and one part 'Match Game PM'."
- What else: Visit gocomedy.net for more information.