Fun Happenings Nearby This Weekend
Neighborhood Toy Store Day in Berkley, Royal Oak Chili Cook-Off, Christmas in Clawson Craft Show, Mom 2 Mom Sale in Troy, antiques appraisal in Birmingham, Escaping Pavement concert in Ferndale.
There's a lot going on in our area this weekend, so we've collected some of the highlights to share with you.
- When: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday.
- Where: The Doll Hospital & Toy Solider Shop in Berkley.
- Cost: Admission is free.
- Why go: The Doll Hospital & Toy Solider Shop will join more than 500 stores nationwide to celebrate the third annual Neighborhood Toy Store Day. The shop will offer free goody bags while supplies last, toy and game demonstrations, hands-on fun, crafts, popcorn and gifts with purchase and more.
- What else: Ten percent of sales during the event will be donated to The Bottomless Toy Chest, a nonprofit that delivers art projects, crafts and interactive toys to hospitalized pediatric cancer patients.
- When: 5:30-10 p.m. Saturday.
- Where: Royal Oak Farmers Market, 316 E. 11 Mile Road.
- Cost: Tickets are available at rochilicookoff.eventbrite.com in advance for $7.50 or will cost $10 at the door. Admission includes five chili-tasting tickets. Additional tasting tickets will be available for purchase at the event.
- Why go: The third annual chili cook-off will offer live music, a silent auction, local beer and celebrity guest judges including Allyson from the Blaine & Allyson in the Morning Show on 96.3 WDVD, Fox Sports Detroit Girls Lauren and Allison, and Michigan Jaycees President Sarah Nelson. Proceeds will benefit the Boys & Girls Club of South Oakland County, the Royal Oak Animal Shelter and the Royal Oak Jaycees.
- What else: Email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the chili cookoff's Facebook page for more information.
- When: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday.
- Where: Clawson High School, 101 John M Ave.
- Cost: $2.
- Why go: More than 100 juried exhibitors will display a variety of handmade crafts during the 28th annual event that will include a visit from Santa. Lunch and baked goods will be available. Free shuttle service also will be available from Schalm Elementary School parking lot. Proceeds benefit Clawson's Parent Teacher Associations.
- When: 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday.
- Where: Zion Christian Church, 3668 Livernois Road, Troy.
- Cost: Early bird admission from 8:30 to 9 a.m. is $2. Regular admission beginning at 9 a.m. is $1.
- Why go: Shop more than 110 tables for bargains on children’s clothing, books and toys. Strollers are permitted.
- When: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday.
- Where: Birmingham Area Seniors Center, 2121 Midvale St.
- Cost: $6 for one item; $15 for three items.
- Why go: Ever wondered how much that old necklace was worth? Then, you'll want to head to the Birmingham Area Seniors Center for What It's Worth?, an appraisal-buy event. Antique dealer and jewelry expert Gary Wachler from Wachler Estate Collection, as well as antique appraiser Joe Del Giudice of Del Giudice Antiques and Estate Jewelry will be on hand to appraise your antiques. Walk-ins are welcome though appointments are preferred.
- When: 9:30 p.m. to 1:30 a.m. Saturday.
- Where: Dino's Lounge, 22740 Woodward Ave., Ferndale.
- Why go: Escaping Pavement, an alt-country band based in Ferndale, is led by singer/songwriters Aaron Markovitz and Emily Burns. The band's repertoire consists of original songs off their upcoming debut EP as well as re-vamped, stripped-down cover songs. Find more information here.
Know of an upcoming event in our area? Promote it for free on Patch!