Fun Happenings Nearby This Weekend
Check out some comedy in Berkley, take a DIA Inside|Out tour in Royal Oak, meditate in Ferndale, shop the Clawson Farmers Market or take in a theater performance in Birmingham.
There's a lot going on in our area this weekend, so we've collected some of the highlights to share with you.
Comedian Michael McDaniel
- When: 9 p.m. Saturday
- Where: O'Mara's Restaurant
- Cost: Tickets $15 in advance or slightly more at the door. A limited number of tickets remain, so get them before they're gone. Call 947-517-7090 or go to www.nepptix.com.
- Why go: The Detroit comedian will do a live DVD recording of his "More Funny Than Famous" show, with special guests Jeff Horste and Harry Artin. O'Mara's will offer dinner specials during the show.
- What else: Visit www.iammcdaniel.com for more information.
DIA Inside|Out tour
- When: Noon, Sunday
- Where: Meet at the Royal Oak Public Library, 222 E. 11 Mile Road.
- Cost: Free
- Why go: Take a walking/biking tour of the Inside|Out reproductions in Royal Oak. Inside|Out has brought reproductions of Detroit Institute of Arts works into Metro Detroit communities.
- What else: Visit the the Inside|Out Facebook page for more information.
Detroit Lotus Sangha
- When: 9:45 a.m. Sunday
- Where: Mejishi Martial Arts 247 W. 9 Mile Road, Ferndale
- Cost: Free
- Why go: The Detroit Lotus Sangha is a meditation group follows the Zen Buddhist teachings of Thich Nhat Hanh. The morning includes a sitting meditation, a walking meditation, a Dharma talk and then another sitting meditation.
- What else: Call 248-542-5371 or 734-658-0877 or visit www.detroitlotussangha.org for more information.
Clawson Farmers Market
- When: 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Sunday
- Where: City Park, West Elmwood and North Custer Avenues, Clawson
- Cost: Free
- Why go: The Clawson Farmers Market features vendors from all over Michigan plus local groups and businesses. There also will be a presentation by dietitian Stephanie Vella about the benefits of local produce. Kids will be able to enjoy an inflatable obstacle course, a bounce house and a bike safety presentation.
- When: 7:30 p.m. Saturday; 2 p.m. Sunday
- Where: Village Players
- Cost: Tickets are $10 each and can be purchased at the door or early at www.birminghamvillageplayers.com.
- Why Go: Enjoy two farces, one fantasy comedy and one drama during the third annual One Act Play Festival this weekend at the Village Players. Each play is penned by four local playwrights, including those from Rochester Hills, Bloomfield Township and Royal Oak.
Know of an upcoming event in our area? Promote it for free on Patch!