Your Guide to Ferndale's DIY Street Fair, Funky Ferndale Art Fair
It's time for a weekend of art, music and fun in Ferndale. Find everything you need to know here.
According to the National Weather Service, a high of 70 degrees is expected on Friday with a 40 percent chance of rain. Clear, sunny skies are expected on Saturday and Sunday with highs in the low- to mid-70s.
DIY Street Fair
- Friday, Sept. 14: 6 p.m. to midnight
- Saturday, Sept. 15: 11 a.m. to midnight (Kids Zone 12-6 p.m.)
- Sunday, Sept. 16: 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. (Kids Zone 12-6 p.m., marketplace 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.)
- Where: Southeast quadrant of Nine Mile Road and Woodward Avenue, spanning the Ferndale Public Library parking lot, Troy Street and the city parking lot (Falvey Lot) behind Woodward Avenue Brewers.
- Cost: Free to attend plus free family activities.
- Art: 130 local vendors offering unique, handmade items.
- Music: Free musical performances each evening until 2 a.m. at the Jack Daniels Landing Pad (The Loving Touch). See the full line-up here.
- Kids Zone: Kids Zone including free pony rides, crafts and more. Free ferris wheel rides are also featured at the event.
- Food and drink: 11 local restaurants will be on site including three or four food trucks. Several vegetarian options available. Two beer tents will offer more than 30 varieties of locally produced beverages - consumption is permitted throughout the fair area.
- Free water is provided.
- Tickets: Tickets are for beer tents only; food can be purchased with cash. Pricing is $5 per ticket (one ticket needed for a 16-ounce pint of micro-brew beer) or you can purchase five tickets for $20.
- What's new at the 2012 DIY Street Fair? A 5K charity run and more. Learn more here.
- Looking for some insight into the local music? Check out this column.
- You can support the Ferndale Education Foundation at the event - find out how here.
- Need more information? Check out this article or visit www.diystreetfair.com.
Funky Ferndale Art Fair
- Friday, Sept. 14: 5-8 p.m.
- Saturday, Sept. 15: 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Sunday, Sept. 16: 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Where: West Nine Mile Road at Woodward.
- Cost: Free to enter. Art for sale in all price ranges.
- Art: The 10th annual Funky Ferndale juried art fair features 120 artists from across the country and right here in Ferndale.
- Entertainment: Look for street performers Ralph Longshore, aka the "Man in White," and street painter David Zinn.
- Food: Local restaurants will be joined by some festival street food favorites to offer a wide selection of dining options for all.
- Meters and lots: Parking will be open at Credit Union One at East Nine Mile Road just west of Paxton for a $5 donation to FernCare. Spaces are limited. Metered parking in Ferndale costs 50 cents per hour. You can also check the new free parking option offering 18 spots at the American Legion Lot in Ferndale located south of West Nine and west of Livernois.
- Parking in residential areas: Parking is allowed in residential areas, however there is a new parking program involving Troy and Saratoga Streets enforcing visitor parking to two hours only.
- Bike or walk: Consider bike-riding or walking to the festival if you live nearby. "It's a great weekend to ride your bike to town," said Ferndale Downtown Development Authority communications manager Chris Hughes. She said shoppers can usually arrange an alternate pick-up time for purchased items if unable to carry or bike with them.
- Parking will be enforced: Be sure to obey posted parking signs. "Parking will be enforced so you could get a ticket," Hughes said.
Tips from Ferndale residents
We asked Ferndale residents on Ferndale Patch's Facebook page what tips they have for new visitors to the events. Here's what they had to say:
- Bring the family! "Don't miss the kid zone and PTA dunk tank!" writes April about the DIY Street Fair. "If you are not a shopper (or a drinker) there is still plenty of family fun to be had! It is easier to leave the stroller at home if you fave a carrier or kid back pack."
- Buy unique gifts. Carrie writes, "Christmas comes on December 25 every year (gasp!). Plan now, start your shopping early, save a headache, buy local, and get brownie points for being UNIQUE!"
- Cross Woodward. Don't forget to check out both sides of Nine Mile so you don't miss Funky Ferndale, says Patch reader Josh: "Rarely do visitors realize that the Funky Ferndale Art Fair even exists."
- Reuse your cup! Megan says, "I get so irritated seeing people throw those nice (im sure expensive) reusable plastic cups away between each beer!!"
- Your money stays local. All DIY vendors and sponsors are local to the area. "Every dollar you spend locally stays local!" says Carrie.
- Look around before you buy: Chene writes, "Walk completely around both festivals before purchasing anything. An art and/or craft fair isn't a mall; there is not "returning" something."
- Bring your own bag or box. "While some artists/crafters may have something, it's more likely than not they won't. Err on the side of preparedness," says Chene.
- Consider buying just before you leave: "Make your purchases when you know you're leaving. Nothing is as awful as trying to browse, eat, watch a band or talk to folks while juggling a bulky item," Chene adds.
- Ask to put items on hold. Megan suggests: "If there is a very unique piece you want & are afraid it will be bought before you come back... Most vendors are very nice and will allow you to purchase it, but leave it there in their booth as "SOLD" until you're ready to pick it up! Just ask!! Couldn't hurt anything!"
- Be patient. "Bring your patience for parking, it's busy don't leave, keep looking," Jenn writes.
- Support the FEF: Amy writes, "Grab a beer and leave a tip! Ferndale Education Foundation volunteers will be working the beer tent in the library parking lot on Saturday. All tips go to FEF!"
- How about a run? "The DIY is putting on their first 5k/1 Mile Fun Run this year and proceeds benefit the Ferndale Public Schools art programs," Debra writes. "Even if you are not a runner, come and walk the 1 Mile Fun Run and stay to enjoy a free DIY event beverage for participating."