The holidays are quickly approaching, and so is the time for gift giving. If you are in search of a quick and simple present that still shows you care, consider gifting a bottle of wine.
Patch visited Off the Wagon Market in Clawson, home to a wide variety of wines and ales. Manager Andy Abbo gave us his take on what's popular this time of year.
- Port: Super sweet, port wine tends to age well and be higher in alcohol so one or two glasses is usually sufficient. A favorite to complement salty foods such as bleu cheese and stuffed olives.
- Pinot Noir: Light-bodied and dry, it has a fruit-forward taste that is very pleasant and easy to drink.
- Merlot: Medium-bodied and on the drier side, there are subtle hints of fruit including black cherry, vanilla and toasty spice mixed with an oak barrel taste.
- Cabernet: Hard-bodied and much more dry, it is very heavy despite its blackberry and raspberry undertones.
- Chocolate: One of the most popular holiday picks, chocolate wine is meant to be eaten after a meal. It has a very thick lacquer that is heavy in taste and comes in many flavors including raspberry and mint that can be served chilled or warm.
- Champagne: Sparkling Moscato Rosé by Jacob's Creek is one of the most popular and affordable drinks for the holidays. With a smooth taste, the champagne-like wine is fruit-tasting and sweet with a strawberry and honey flavor.
Off the Wagon also sells four packs of smaller ounce bottles that make a great stocking-stuffer. Enough for a glass or two, the miniature bottles come in Chardonnay, White Zinfandel and more.
Seasonal ale is also a big seller during this time of year and are an excellent gift for those who aren’t big fans of wine. Off the Wagon offers Samuel Adams Winter Lager, White Christmas and Chocolate Bock.
Off the Wagon Market is located at 1500 N. Crooks Rd in Clawson and is open Monday through Thursday from 9 a.m. - 10 p.m., Friday and Saturday from 9 a.m. - 11 p.m. and Sunday from 10 a.m. until 8 p.m.