‘As we look ahead to November’s elections, Clawson Patch is devoted to bringing you the information you need about every race in town. Here's our start on the candidates and issues we'll be covering as November draws near. Bookmark this page for updates.
Oakland County Commissioner
- Two Clawson residents will seat in the Aug. 7 primary election. County Commissioner Mike Bosnic (R-Clawson) and Tim Burns (D-Clawson), who faced off in 2010, both filed for candidacy before the May 15 deadline.
- The Clawson Board of Education will have two open seats in the November election. Terms for school board members Mike Bosnic and Joseph Bedford end on Dec. 31, 2012. No one has filed for either seat yet.
Oakland County Executive
- L. Brooks Patterson: Oakland County Executive L. Brooks Patterson is seeking . The 73-year-old Republican will face .
- President Barack Obama takes on Mitt Romney: Romney, the GOP's presumptive candidate, is also . He will be facing Obama, who recently spent time at a .
41st District State Representative
- Troy resident Deborah DeBacker Her opponents are Troy residents Martin Howrylak, Matt Pryor and Mary Kerwin.
Oakland County proposals
There are two countywide proposal on the ballot in August:
- The Oakland County Art Institute Authority Millage would "allow for continuing support of art institute services for the students, residents visitors of Oakland County," according to the Oakland County website. The Detroit Institute of Arts is seeking a 10-year, 0.2 mill regional levy to help fund operations. An Arts Institute Authority was established to monitor use of the Oakland County funds. The tax is similar in concept to a 0.1-mill levy voters in Wayne, Oakland and Macomb counties approved in 2008 for the Detroit Zoo, The Detroit News reports. It would cost the owner of a $200,000 home about $20 per year and is expected to raise $23 million: $11 million from Oakland; $9 million from Wayne and $3 million from Macomb counties.
- The Oakland County public transportation millage renewal would "allow continued support to the Suburban Mobility Authority for Regional Transportation (SMART) for a public transportation system serving the elderly, disabled, and general public of Oakland County," according to the Oakland County website. It is estimated that .59 mills would raise approximately $16 million when levied in 2012.
Dates to remember
- July 9: last day to register to vote on Aug. 7 ballot
- Aug. 7: primary races and ballot issues
- Oct. 9: last day to register to vote on Nov. 6 ballot
- Nov. 6: general election